Tuesday 28 January 2014

First attempt at geometric nails


Inspired by this design on Pinterest I thought I'd have a go myself and a perfect excuse to try out my 'Butler Please' Essie polish that was purchased a while ago and never worn.

The lighting in my house is rubbish, I feel no matter where I stand the light is always high and behind me. So this picture isn't really the best and makes the manicure look a lot more like a dogs dinner than it actually is!

So to achieve this look I used OPI's 'Berlin there, done that' as the base, two coats, and topped off with a Colour Club Quick Dry Top Coat before applying striping tape. I taped each nail placing the tape not directly in the left corner of each nail but a bit lower and across to almost the bottom right of the nail. 

I used Essie's 'Butler Please' to do the first section in light blue, painting from the tape to the bottom of the nail. When dry I taped again to mask the line for the dark blue colour in the opposite direction.  For this colour I used OPI's 'I Saw... U Saw... We Saw... Warsaw'. I found painting the darker colour a bit more tricky and you can see above where I smudged the colour a little on the middle nails. I used a thin nail art brush to get into the top corners where the tape met the side of my finger and a brush dipped in acetone to clean up cuticles etc. 

Another coat of quick dry Top Coat to smooth the design out and I was done. On reflection I think I'll use a lighter nude for the base and a more true dark blue as the OPI I used was a little on the green side. Anyway I should really try my own colour combination... maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment