Thursday 18 September 2014

31 Day Challenge - Delicate Print and Geometric Nails

Day 15 was entitled 'Delicate Print' and I didn't really know what that meant or how I was going to interpret it. Looking around Instagram and the Internet in general I got the impression it was pretty much fancy nails with a very fine or complex design... I was going to stuggle.

The only way I was going to do this was by searching through my stamping plates and finding some sort of intricate design. Inspired again by The Nailsaurus by her manicure for the theme. I went with a light colour which I normally don't wear and looked for a gold polish to stamp. And here's what I came up with...


I used Models Own in 'Peach Melba' as my base, a polish I bought a while ago and hadn't yet worn. I then tried stamping with practically every gold polish I had. The only one that really worked was Revlons Parfumerie polish in 'Italian Leather'. Both of these are scented polishes and the combination seemed to smell quite nice, although primarily of nail polish!

Stamping efforts still not great and the above took a few goes to get it to even look half decent. Still waiting for my new rectangular stamper to arrive from China, hoping it's here soon!

Day 16 is geometric and I love these type of designs, what I hate though is the lack of time I have this week to wait for each coat to dry before I can tape it up and paint the next colour and shape.

I rummaged around my polish draws looking for three untried polishes that would go together in this design I wanted to do. 


I started of with 'Loden Green' from Sally Hansen's Complete Salon Manicure line. I've wanted to go Khaki green nails for a while, but have to say once painted on it reminded me more of diarrhoea! Or is that just me?

Once two coats were done, I'd gone to far to turn back, so I started with my design doing the grey colour first in Orlys 'Boho Bonnet'. The last shape in the dark blue is Revlons ColorStay in 'Midnight'. The Orly was a bit sheer for this type of nail art, I really needed something more opaque and the Revlon polish was perfect for the striping shapes. I used the last shape to cover up the mess I'd make with the first design where I could. 

Overall I like the design and colours, just wish I'd had more time to be careful with drying the polish before each colour. Now firmly two days behind with the challenge! 



2 comments:

  1. Hi I just found your blog and I think you do awesome nail art! I am not a professional blogger nor do I have a lot of followers but I just thought I'd leave you some suggestions. You should try taking more of your picture with natural light or work on those darker ones with a program like photoshop or something free. Maybe you could try to personalize your blog theme if you can. I know it takes time but it really makes a difference!
    Lots of love, Elsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elsa, thanks for the tips. I do most of my blogging at night hence the reason the pictures are so dark. The lighting in my house is terrible, was considering a light box. I am looking for tips to get more followers, will look into the personalisation of my blog. What I would like to know is how to make my keywords return my blog and pictures in search. It's just a bit of a hobby at the mo, so will spend sometime looking into improvements.

    Glad you like my nail art, still learning'

    ReplyDelete